Thursday, October 23, 2008

small apartment, big roaches

I've never lived in a place with roaches. Sure, I've seen one or two in Chico or Arcata, but not like this. This is a big city with big roaches. They fly. The full grown adults are literally two and a half inches. There was one last night in the sink that was carrying a large slice of the white part of a green onion in it's mouth. Like a dog with a bone. My roommate Lori says that the best thing to do is spray them with Simple Green. "It works great and it's not toxic, like those bug sprays" she said. It does not work great. Perhaps it makes them clean and fresh smelling, but it does not kill them, it just gets them wet. The best things I have found for dispatching them are a plastic fork, with which you can crush or cut them in half before using the same fork to move the carcass to the trash, or a slipper (pronounced slippah, =flipflop/thong).
I've also never lived with three people in a 300 sq. foot apartment. Three full weeks now and it's really not that bad. Eric and I switch off between the couch (loveseat) and the easy-chair. I think we are all being very careful to be considerate and accommodating, and I think it's working. However, I look forward to a time when no longer have to live out of my suitcase. At this juncture, I think I'd rather have a dresser and a closet than a blow job.

4 comments:

  1. That's a pretty risky statement to make. Now someone might give you a closet for your birthday instead of a blow job.

    P.S. Um, duh. Why would you want to kill the massive aerodynamic roaches? As long as they're clean and fresh smelling, you're good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Shannon O and I lived together in Santa Barbara, we discovered that Scrubbing Bubbles kills roaches instantly. Definitely NOT non-toxic though...We speculated that the bubbles suffocated them.
    I love that I haven't talked to you in ages and the first thing I tell you is how to kill a cockroach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Katy! I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay simple green does kill them, just not quickly if it's diluted.

    ReplyDelete